A welder must be competent in using potentially dangerous equipment following all safety precautions. The ideal candidate will also have a steady hand and great attention to detail. Knowledge of different kinds of metal and their properties is essential.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Read blueprints and drawings and take or read measurements to plan layout and procedures
- Determine the appropriate welding equipment or method based on requirements
- Set up components for welding according to specifications (e.g. cut material with powered saws to match measurements)
- Operate angle grinders to prepare the parts that must be welded
- Align components using calipers, rulers etc. and clamp pieces
- Weld components using manual or semi-automatic welding equipment in various positions (vertical, horizontal or overhead)
- Test and inspect welded surfaces and structure to discover flaws
- Maintain equipment in a condition that does not compromise safety
- Proven experience as welder
- Experience using a variety of welding equipment and procedures (TIG, MIG etc.)
- Experience in using electrical or manual tools (saws, squares, calipers etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and drawings
- Knowledge of relative safety standards and willingness to use protective clothing (face-shield, gloves etc.)
- Deftness and attention to detail
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent, 1-year related experience and./or training.
Quality of Work
Able to manage multiple projects; able to determine project urgency in a meaningful and practical way
Attention to Detail
Must possess resourcefulness, initiative and skill to function in a fast-paced environment; attention to detail in goal/task accomplishment with minimal supervision; professionalism and the ability to interact effectively with others.
- Must read, write and speak English proficiently.
- Lift up to 50lbs
- Ability to operate a forklift.